A glacier hike is a great way to experience Icelandic nature. On this Take a Walk on the Ice Side tour, you will walk on Sólheimajökull glacier tongue, which extends from Mýrdalsjökull. We will take an easy 3-3.5 hour walk on crampons up on the ice field, where we will learn more about the wonderland of ice sculptures, ridges, deep crevasses and why the glaciers are melting and disappearing.
We will provide and teach you how to use basic glacier equipment for this Take a Walk on the Ice Side tour. Please note that ice climbing is not included.
On the way back to Reykjavík, after the exhilarating glacier hike, we will stop at the two beautiful waterfalls Seljalandsfoss and Skógafoss.
Seljalandsfoss is part of the Seljandsá river, which has its origins in Eyjafjallajökull glacier. What makes this waterfall so famous and interesting is that you can walk behind it. We recommend you bring either a raincoat or a waterproof coat along if you want to walk behind it. Skógafoss, another famous Icelandic waterfall, is the starting point of the Fimmvörðuháls walk over to Þórsmörk. The waterfall was also used in the films Thor: The Dark World and The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.
Tour duration: 09:00 -19:00
On this Take a Walk on the Ice Side tour you will see:
Take a Walk on the Ice Side Tour details
Duration: 10 hours
- Remember to bring warm clothing, rain gear and hiking boots
- Children 9 years and younger are not permitted on this tour
- Ice climbing is not included in this tour
- Operation of this tour depends on weather conditions on the glacier
- English audio guidance on the bus
What’s included in the Take a Walk on the Ice Side Tour?
- Bus fare with audio guidance
- 3 – 3.5 hours guided glacier hike
- Ice hiking gear & safety equipment
- Pick up is up to 30 minutes before departure